Get to grips with a specific topic with our short Insight 1-page publications
The global shipping industry is undergoing a radical transition towards lower pollutant emissions, a reduction in CO2 emissions and greater efficiency. New regulatory frameworks introduced by the UN’s International Maritime Organization (IMO) and local bodies such as the EU are set to have a decisive impact on the bunker fuel industry.
The commodity trading industry in Switzerland is at a turning point and there are many challenges to be faced. Through positive engagement with the authorities and a commitment to dialogue with all stakeholders and the general public, STSA is confident that the industry is fit to meet these challenges and ensure the strength of the Swiss commodity trading hub well into the future.
Speculation, the cause for high food prices?
Swiss and UE bury the hatchet in the fiscal debate: Where are we now?
The Swiss Financial Market Infrastructure Act: An important milestone in the regulatory framework applying to commodity trading
Gain a better undertand how physical commodity trading firms play a crucial role in helping economies transition to cleaner fuels. As global oil products markets constantly evolve to meet new quality specifications or simply respond to demand patterns driven by technology or regulation, traders allow countries to avoid high transitional costs when adopting cleaner technologies.
Enjoy in-depth coverage of the trends and topics shaping the global commodity trading industry with our annual Commodities magazine - in association with L'AGEFI
Commodities 2016 Through Booms and Busts
Download the 3rd edition of Commodities, which brings together contributions and insights from some of the industry's leading experts. Produced in partnership with the SRIC and L'AGEFI.
Commodities 2015 Beyond national boundaries
Download the 2nd edition of Commodities, which brings together contributions and insights from some of the industry's leading experts. Produced in partnership with L'AGEFI.
Indices 2014 Commodities, the industry at a turning point
Download the 1st edition of Indices/Commodities, which brings together contributions and insights from some of the industry's leading experts. Produced in partnership with L'AGEFI.
Bibliography & reference publications
Reference books for aspiring commodity traders and students:
- The Trade Lifecycle: Behind the Scenes of the Trading process, Robert P. Baker, 2nd edition, Wiley, 2015
- Financing Trade and International Supply Chains, Alexander R. Malaket, Ashgate Publishing (Routledge), 2014
- Commodity Trade and Finance, Michael Tamvakis, 2nd edition, Informa Law/Routledge, 2015
- Trade-based Money Laundering, John A. Sassara, John Wiley, 2015
- Commodities and Commodity Derivatives: Modelling and Pricing for Agriculturals, Metals and Energy, Helyette Geman (ISBN-13: 978-0470012185)
- Commodity Investing: Maximizing Returns through Fundamental Analysis, A. Dunsby, J. Eckstein, J. Gaspar and S. Mulholland (ISBN-13: 978-0470223109)
- Hot Commodities: How Anyone Can Invest Profitably in the World's Best Market, J. Rogers (ISBN-13: 978-1400063376)
- Understanding Commodities, Nicolas Bürkler, Dr. Martin Spillmann, Prof. Dr. Roger Rissi et al., IFZ-Hochschule Luzern, 2015 (ISBN 978-3-906488-53-0)
- Risk Management in Commodity Markets: From Shipping to Agriculturals and Energy, H. Geman, Wiley Finance, 2008
- Commodities and Commodity Derivatives: Agriculturals, Metals and Energy, H. Geman, Wiley Finance, 2005
- Commodity derivatives: markets and applications, NC. Schofield, Wiley Finance, 2007
- International Commodity Trading: Physical and Derivative Markets, E. Clark, JB. Lesourd, R. Thieblemont, Wiley Finance, 2001
- Energy and Power Risk Management, A. Eydeland, Wiley Finance, 2003
- Electricity Markets, C. Harris, Wiley Finance, 2006
- Options, futures et autres actifs derives, J. Hull, Pearson Education, 2014
- Econometric Analysis of Carbon Markets, J. Chevallier, Springer, 2011
- Handbook of Sustainable Energy, Edward Elgar, 2011
- The Economics of Commodity Markets, Julien Chevallier and Florian Ielpo, 2013
- The Little Book of Commodity Investing, John Stephenson and John Mauldin (Foreword by), 2010
- AbleTrend: Identifying and Analyzing Market Trends for Trading Success, John Wang, Grace Wang, Larry Williams (Foreword by), 2010
- Commodity Strategies: High-Profit Techniques for Investors and Traders, Thomas J. Dorsey, Tammy F. DeRosier, Paul L. Keeton, Susan L. Morrison, Joshua B. Parker, 2007
- Getting Started in Commodities, George A. Fontanills, 2007
- Commodity Fundamentals: How To Trade the Precious Metals, Energy, Grain, and Tropical Commodity Markets, Ronald C. Spurga, 2006
- The Encyclopedia of Commodity and Financial Spreads, Steve Moore, Jerry Toepke, Nick Colley, 2006
Looking to gain a historical perspective on commodity trading ? Try some of the following books to discover the fascinating world of early commodity trading firms.
- Atlas mondial des matières premières - Des ressources stratégiques, Bernadette Mérenne-Schoumaker, Autrement Collection Atlas-Monde, 2015
- Commodities, Ports and Asian Maritime Trade Since 1750, Anthony Webster, Ulbe Bosma, Ulbe, Jaime de Melo, Palgrave Macmillan UK , 2015 (ISBN 978-1-349-55653-3)
- Empire of Cotton, A Global history, Sven Beckert, Vintage Books, 2015 (exists in German and Spanish as well)
- Die Fäden des globalen Marktes, Christof Dejung, Böhlau, Köln/Welmar/Berlin, 2013
- The Multinational Traders, Geoffrey G Jones, Routledge, Reprint edition 2013(978-0415862615)
- The Dutch Trading Companies As Knowledge Networks, edited by Siegfried Huigen, Jan L. De Jong and Elmer Kolfin, 2010
- Sugar, Steam and Steel: The Industrial Project in Colonial Java, 1830-1885, G. Roger Knight, University of Adelaide Press
- Market Threads: How Cotton Farmers and Traders Create a Global Commodity, Koray Çalişkan, Princeton University Press, 2010 (ISBN: 9780691142418)
- The International Cocoa Trade, Robin Dand ISBN: 978-0-471-19055-4)
Are you looking for some of the industry's leading publications on commodity trading? Here are a few examples of reports that could be of interest.
- Commodities and Development Report 2015, UNCTAD
- Cocoa: A guide to trade practices, International Trade Center (ITC)
- Cyclope 2015, Philippe Chalmin, Economica, (exists both in FR and in EN)
- Hightower 2016 Commodity Trading Guide, The Hightower Report, Link to webpage
Learn more about the world of shipping with the following selection of books:
- Ninety Percent of Everything: Inside Shipping, The Invisible Industry That Puts Clothes On Your Back, Gas in Your Car and Food On Your Plate, by Rose George
- The Box, How the Shipping Cointainer Made The World Smaller and the World Economy Bigger, by Marc Levinson
- The Shipping Man, by Matthew Mcleery
- Freighter Captain, by Max Harberger
- Seized: A Sea Captain's Adventures battling Scoundrels and Pirates While Recovering Stolen Ships on the World's Most Troubled Waters, by Max Hardberger
Reference books for students and shipping industry professionals:
- Maritime Economics, by Martin Stopford, 3rd edition
- The Business of Shipping, by James Buckley Jr, 2008
- Principles of Chartering, by Dr Phois M. Panayides, 2014
- Tanker Operations: A Handbook for the Person-In-Charge, by Mark E. Huber, 5th edition
- Shipping Derivatives and Risk Management, by A. Alizadeh
- Shipping Strategy: Innovation for Success, by Pr Peter Lorange
- The Shipbroker's Working Knowledge: Dry Cargo Chartering in practice, by George N. Tsoudis, 2015
- Maritime logistics: A Guide to Contemporary Shipping and Port Management, by Dong-Wook Song and Phois Panaydies, 2nd edition
- International Handbook of Shipping Finance: Theory and Practice, by Kavussanos, 2016
- UNCTAD Review of Maritime Transport 2016